In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

McArthur Public Library

Pavilion Congregational Church, Biddeford, 1870

Contributed by McArthur Public Library
MMN Item 22585 Item Details
Pavilion Congregational Church, Biddeford, 1870
MMN Item 22585 Zoom

Description

The Pavilion Church (the Third Congregational Church) was organized in 1857 and services were held in the hall over the offices of the Pepperell Mills for several years.

The church building was erected in 1863, from plans drawn by a Boston architect. The main structure was finished by the close of 1863, but the tower (and steeple) was not built until 1864.

The clock was added early in 1865, and formal dedication was made on February 14, 1865.

The steeple was struck by lightning in the 1880s and the top portion was removed in 1902 when the building was taken over by the McArthur Library.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.